RECIPE YEAR: 2020
RECIPE BY: CHEF JENIFER RAMOS
PAIRS WELL WITH: PRIMITIVO, CHENIN BLANC
- ½ c. low-sodium soy sauce
- ⅓ c. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ c. lightly packed brown sugar
- ¼ c. Rendez-vous Primitivo (or other red)
- 2 tbsp. whole-grain mustard
- 2 tsp. cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 lb. tri-tip steak or Skirt Steak (or a very thick cut of sirloin)
- 2 tbsp. butter, cut into tabs
- Freshly chopped parsley
- In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, olive oil, brown sugar, wine, mustard, Cajun seasoning, garlic, thyme. Pour out about ⅓ of mixture to use for glaze later. Marinate Steak for 20 minutes, up to 4 hrs (covered)
- Heat grill to high. Grill until charred on both sides, about 5 minutes each side. Lower to medium-high and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. (Register 130 degrees). Remove from heat and rest.
- Pour reserved marinade into a small saucepan and bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until mixture has thickened slightly. Whisk in butter until melted. Remove from heat & brush glaze over steak. Garnish with parsley.
CHEF'S NOTE: Jen usually makes this on cool summer nights listening to Spotify Acoustic Covers (or any 90’s pop classic). She enjoys this dish with a glass of Primitivo, creamy mashed potatoes, and garlic green beans. After dinner, Jen's night is complete with grilled pineapple shortcake and Law and Order repeats.